Homelessness Statistics

Who Are the Homeless?

On a Single Night in January 2018 - the most recent Point-In-Time Count data available:

• 552,830 people experienced homelessness in the United States. • Most stayed in sheltered locations (65% or 358,363 people), while 35 percent (194,467 people) stayed in unsheltered locations.

• Of those in sheltered locations, 3,864 people were staying in beds that were funded specifically because of a presidentially declared natural disaster. These events included Hurricanes Maria, Irma, Harvey, and Nate, as well as the wildfires in the west.

• Two in three people experiencing homelessness (67%) were adults in households without children. The remaining 33 percent of people experiencing homelessness did so as part of a family. • Of every 10,000 people in the United States, 17 experienced homelessness on a single night in 2018.

According to the National Alliance to End Homelessness, the Upper Cumberland averages 252 persons each night are homeless in the UC and of that number, almost 24% are housed in the Cookeville Rescue Mission each night. More than 8,000 individuals are homeless throughout the state of Tennessee.

Demographic Characteristics

One-fifth of people experiencing homelessness on a single night in 2018 were children (20% or 111,592), 71 percent were over the age of 24, and nine percent were between the ages of 18 and 24. Children experiencing homelessness were rarely unsheltered. Nine in ten children were staying in sheltered locations. Children comprised only five percent of all people in unsheltered locations. Six in 10 people experiencing homelessness (or 332,925 people) were men or boys, and 39 percent (216,211) were women or girls.  Men were more likely to be unsheltered than women. Nearly 7 in 10 people experiencing unsheltered homelessness were men or boys.