The Cookeville Rescue Mission began in March of 1976 at the corner of Broad and Cedar streets in Cookeville, Tennessee, under the direction of Bro. Larry and Betty Self and Bro. U. L. Whitson. In 1981, we were blessed to be able to move into and later purchase property at our current location of 1331 South Jefferson Avenue. In 1982, we recruited our board of directors.
In April 1985, with the help of God’s people, through fund-raisers, we were able to pay it off. In 1996, the Lighthouse Family Lodge was opened to provide emergency housing for families and single women. In 1998, the general store, dental clinic, office and warehouse complex were built and are fulfilling a great need for this ministry.
The men’s new dormitory was completed and dedicated in 2003, and our parking lot was also paved that year. And in 2012, Life Church completely remodeled our kitchen, making it a beautiful and convenient facility for us to use each day.